CAIN Web Service
Key Events - The Irish Peace Process
Page Compiled: Martin Melaugh and Fionnuala McKenna
Material is added to this site on a regular basis - information on this page may change
Information on the Irish Peace Process is divided into a number of sections listed below. Additional material will be added to this section. Users should also refer to the information contained in the section on Politics, Political Parties, and the Elections.
summary of the main events of the Peace Process
selected reading list.
background to the Peace Process
chronology of events
the Peace Process
- a chronology of events leading up to the beginning of the Peace Process
- a chronology of events during the Peace Process, 1993-1998 [to the signing of the Good Friday Agreement]
- a chronology of events during the Peace Process, 1998-1999 [from the signing of the Good Friday Agreement to the establishment of a devolved government]
- for more recent events see the draft chronologies for 2000 and 2001
- Birney, Trevor., and O'Neill, Julian. (1997). 'Nailing the Balance', in, When the President Calls. Derry: Guildhall Press.
- Farren, Sean., and Mulvihill, Robert F. (2000). 'Transforming the Conflict', in, Paths to a Settlement in Northern Ireland. Gerrards Cross: Colin Smythe.
- Gilligan, Chris. (1997). 'Peace or pacification process? A brief critique of the peace process', in, Gilligan, Chris., and Tonge, Jon. (1997) (eds) Peace or War?: Understanding the Peace Process in Northern Ireland. Aldershot: Ashgate.
- Gormley-Heenan, Cathy. (2006). 'Political Leadership and the Northern Ireland Peace Process: Role, Capacity and Effect'. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Ingraham, Jeson. (1998). 'The Irish Peace Process'. CAIN: <http://cain.ulster.ac.uk/events/peace/talks.htm>
- McCartney, Clem. (1999). 'The Role of Civil Society', in, McCartney, Clem. (ed) (1999) Accord - Striking a balance: The Northern Ireland peace process, (No.89). London: Conciliation Resources.
- Morgan, Austen. (2000). What is the Belfast Agreement?, in, The Belfast Agreement: a practical legal analysis. London: The Belfast Press.
- Murray, Dominic. (ed.) (2000). Protestant Perceptions of the Peace Process in Northern Ireland, [contributors: Duncan Morrow, Chris Gibson, May Blood, Robin Eames, Gregory Campbell, Barry White]. Limerick: University of Limerick.
- Murray, Gerard. (1998). 'Towards a Permanent Settlement', in, John Hume and the SDLP: Impact and Survival in Northern Ireland. Dublin: Irish Academic Press.
- Nolan, Paul. (2012). The Northern Ireland Peace Monitoring Report, (29 February 2012), [PDF; 11989KB]. Belfast: Community Relations Council.
- Rowan, Brian. (1995). 'Going to the Edge', in, Behind the Lines: the Story of the IRA and Loyalist Ceasefires. Belfast: Blackstaff Press.
- Stewart, Paul., and Shirlow, Peter. (eds.) (1999). Northern ireland between peace and war?, [special issue of Capital and Class, Autumn, no. 69]. Capital and Class, No.69, Autumn 1999. London: Capital and Class Editorial Committee.
text of The Agreement, reached in the multi-party negotiations, 10 April 1998
the referendum on 'The Agreement', 22 May 1998
article on 'Education and the Peace Process in Northern Ireland' by Alan Smith (1999) a brief note on decommissioning list of source documents - these documents include all the major reports, statements, and press releases of the various parties
Northern Ireland Peace Monitoring Reports (2012-), published by the Community Relations Council.
10th Anniversary Symposium, Held in Belfast, Thursday 10th April 2008.
Fourteen of the original negotiators of the Good Friday Agreement were brought together at an event hosted by the US-Ireland Alliance. Two one-hour videos of the discussion at the symposium were made avaialble at the US-Ireland Alliance web site.
15 Years On A discussion blog, by different authors, reflecting on the successes and failures of the 15 years since the Belfast/Good Friday Agreement.